I read a blog post yesterday by Cathy Zielski at Bits & Pieces. I love Cathy's blog because she is real - life isn't perfect, she struggles with her weight, is working on her marriage, etc. She linked to another blog post that hit home - hard! It was about how women are very hard on themselves when it comes to how they look. This blog post fit me to a T. I am forever setting unrealistic goals for myself - lose x lbs by this date and everything will be fine. I'm not sure why I feel my life will be perfect and all my problems will go away if I was thin. If I don't reach that goal then I am a failure.
What is amusing to me is that growing up I was thin and even then I was unhappy with my weight - always wanting to be thinner, prettier, etc.
When my sister passed away 7 years ago I made lots of promises to myself that I would take better care of myself. I had the opportunity to be healthy - she had no control over the cancer that wracked her body - and I did have control over some of the health issues I had related to being overweight and not taking care of myself. For many years I did nothing. But last January 2013 I made some changes - to stop worrying about being thin and to work on being healthy. I have made some great strides but still struggle at times. One of my biggest problems is that I use to be a binge eater - and a sneaky one at that. But I have worked really hard on that the past year and a half - and until recently I have done great. But I tend to be a stress eater and right now my job is crazy - and I have slipped in to some old, bad habits.
But the buck stops here. I know that I need to take even better care of myself when life gets stressful. I'm not sure why it is so hard for women to take time for themselves - but I tend to feel guilty when I do. There is always something at home or work that I could be doing instead of going to yoga or fitting in a walk.
So here is the new plan -
- Make time for me.
- Instead of heading in to work early when I can't sleep, my plan is to either go for a walk or fit in some yoga.
- Take advantage of the summer produce and plan healthy meals - 3 meals - not just dinner. I tend to skip lunch and then come home and snack - which isn't a good thing.
- Continue to buy local produce from farm stands in the area.
- Schedule in exercise! If it is on my calendar I tend to do it. Even if it is as easy as getting in a walk before work or after dinner. Plus I want to get back to adding yoga into my weekly routine.
- Get in to a better routine - with work, household chores, meal planning, exercise, etc. I tend to fly by the seat of my pants. I think if I set up a weekly plan it would be more manageable.
It is hard opening up on a blog. I know I don't have a lot of readers - and that is ok with me - I tend to blog more for my own purposes. But if anyone has any suggestions feel free to comment or send me an email.